Anytime I go out for a fishing trip, I am hoping to catch that big fish, not just to look at, but to also eat. Not too many fish are bigger than a nice fat grouper. On our last trip, my wife and I caught plenty of grouper, but only one keeper red. A keeper grouper is thick and meaty. It was only one fish, but it was enough for two meals for our family of four.
One of our favorite ways to prepare grouper is to make sliders. We have found several recipes that are simple, yet tasty. Here is one of our favorites. So let’s get cooking…
After cleaning the grouper, I pat it dry and lay it out on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, I cut the the fillet into pieces that are slightly larger than my slider bun. While grouper is one of the more lean fish in the water, it will still shrink a little as it cooks.
Next, I lightly season both sides of the fillet with salt and pepper. I like to add a sprinkle of a local spice mix to give the sliders a little kick. Really any seasoning can be used, but grouper has a great taste by itself, so I try not to overpower it with too much spice.
That's it! Now its time to start cooking... First, I start a pan on medium-high heat. When it gets nice and hot, I add a few tablespoons of oil and carefully place the fillets in the pan. Ahhhh, listen to that sizzle.
Since my fillet is fairly thick, I let it cook for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on the first side to get a nice golden sear. I flip over the fillet and cook the other side for another 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
As the grouper finishes up cooking, I like to mix up some spicy mayo and get all the slider toppings ready. For the toppings, I use thinly sliced tomatoes, crisp romaine lettuce, sliced red onion, and some yummy avocado (SUPER-FRUIT). But use your imagination as any of your favorites can be substituted in to make this your perfect slider!
For the spicy mayo, all I do is mix up a little mayo, white pepper, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper and some lemon juice.
To add a little more spice, I add just a pinch of the seasoning blend used on the grouper.
After I mix the mayo, I check to make sure that my grouper is completely cooked. It is perfectly flaky and no longer translucent so I know I can remove it from the heat and start putting together my sliders!
We like our buns toasted (um, the ones we use for sliders, not the ones on the boat), so I briefly put them in the oven on the broil setting. I remove the buns from the oven and add the spicy mayo on the bottom bun. I place a piece of grouper on top of the spicy mayo and then put a dab of spicy mayo on the top of the grouper. This allows for my toppings to stick to the grouper without falling off. After I add the toppings, I top it off with the other bun and enjoy!
As we eat this very delicious meal, we have a sip of our favorite cocktail and remember an amazing day on the water. What a beautiful day, beautiful water, and a great time spent with my beautiful wife! I couldn't ask for much more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grouper Slider Ingredients (Yields 3 Sliders)
- 3 grouper fillets cut slightly larger than the size of your bun
- 3 small rolls
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced rings
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Other seasoning as desired
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
Spicy Mayo Ingredients
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp of paprika
- 1/8 tsp of white pepper
- 1/8 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
Cook the Grouper Fillets
- Preheat a pan over medium high heat.
- Lightly season the grouper fillets with salt and pepper.
- Add any additional seasoning as desired.
- Add the cooking oil to the preheated pan.
- Without splashing the oil, carefully add the seasoned grouper fillets to the pan.
- Cook fillets for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, depending on thickness. The grouper fillets should have a golden brown sear and should be cooked throughout, resulting in an opaque and flaky fillet.
- Place fillets on rolls.
Mix the Spicy Mayo
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, paprika, white pepper, fresh ground black pepper, sea salt, and lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Assemble the Sliders
- Add the spicy mayo, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and red onion to the slider.
- Serve with your favorite side(s).